Wednesday, June 07, 2006

The "Culture of Corruption" in Ohio

With the latest revelations involving the former Ohio BWC's chief financial officer, I feel it is necessary to comment on the corruption seen in the last couple of years in Ohio.

Every day (in my job as a legal assistant), I speak to injured workers who are trying to get back to work, trying to get the benefits they are entitled to, and who are upset that dollars that should be there to pay for their medicine, treatment, and compensation have been squandered, misappropriated, or even stolen from the BWC insurance fund. They have noticed that in the last decade, it has become more difficult to receive benefits that are due to them, as the present leadership in Ohio has sought to "streamline" the system, many times to the detriment of the injured workers.

The latest Workers Compensation "reform" bill (Senate Bill 7 which passed in March, 2006) passed the House largely along party lines and failed to address the reasons why hundreds of millions of dollars had been lost or stolen. The GOP majority also attached a minimum wage hike which set the minimum wage at $5.15 (up from $4.25) which only matched the rate set by the federal government ten years earlier (nice political theatre). I believe there was no reason to rush into a "reform" bill until the entire ramifications of the scandals and investment losses are fully investigated.

Across the state, from the Governor's office to the local level, we have seen widespread ethics violations. From the unreported free golf trips to the laundering of money into the President's campaign, we are unfortunately experiencing the result of over a decade of one party rule in Ohio. And the most disturbing fact of all is that these violations have been committed by political veterans who should and do know better, not political neophytes who could be excused for their ignorance. One veteran state legislator even explained away a round of golf at the famed Inverness Club in Toledo (valued at $140) as non-reportable on his ethics report since he had used a "coupon" that lowered the price to $70 (just below the $75 cutoff).... how convenient!

I believe that it is time for Ohioans to work for change and say to those who have squandered their opportunity to serve the public, "You've had your turn, now it's our turn".

Thank you and have a good day.

Mark Dansack

11 Comments:

At 6:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The GOP lackeys will tell you that the NOE millions only represented a minor portion of the overall budget. That may be true. However, the lack of oversight by the GOP controlled legislature allowed Noe to get his hands on the funds in the first place. Tell an injured worker who is fighting the system to get the necessary meds that $50 million doesn't matter. Just think how many injured workers could have been helped while Tom & bernadette used millions to build their palace in South Florida! Every Republican legislator should be ashamed, including Mr. Wagoner!

 
At 6:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mark, how can I get involved?

justinparnellutoledo@hotmail.com

 
At 7:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome to the blogosphere. Thanks for the link Lisa.

I agree that there is too much corruption in government. The Reps have given use Noe and Thurber and Taft. The Dems have given us Kest and McClosky and Copland. We need to clean up both sides.

I give you credit for speaking up. But you need to be against corruption at all levels of government and both parties.

You will have my vote if you do this. If not you are just another windbag politican blowing smoke.

McClosky is going to jail because he took bags of cash for votes. But he coud not have done his bribe alone. Others on Toledo council changed there vote to help McClosky. Can you identify for me who changed there vote. Will call for a full criminal investigation of these people. Will you demand there resignation.

Our treasurer Wade also received a bag of cash from McClosky. He counted it and and kept quiet about it. Then he LIED to our paper that it ever happened. He changed only when the FBI invesigated him. Keeping quiet and lying about getting money is just as bad as taking money. Will you demand that Wade also resign.

Now Kests bag man is the chair of our local Dem party. Irish new every bad thing Kest did but kept quiet about it. Will you demand that he also immeadialtely resign.

I have lived in Oregon for a long time and thought you were a good mayor. It has been a while. Do these things and you will have my vote for a long time. If not you are not another windbag politican.

 
At 9:40 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

To the last anonymous...Mark was not the Mayor of Oregon, that was his brother. I'll leave the rest to Mark to respond to but thought I should clarify that for you.

:-)

 
At 2:47 AM, Blogger Mark said...

To the second anonymous:

I am certainly against corruption and illegal activities by all political parties at all levels of government and unfortunately we have seen some local examples by each.

Since I work in the workers compensation field, I am certainly more dismayed by the rampant abuses we have seen in Ohio, Imagine what would be going on now if there had been no "coingate" investigation. There was a lack of oversight which I believe is perpetuated by having one party governance and a limited system of checks and balances.

I believe that all who violate the public trust should be penalized to the full extent of the law.

Finally, Lisa Renee is right, I am not the former Mayor of Oregon, although I worked on his campaigns and admired his dedication to public service.

Thank you for your comments.

 
At 8:32 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I am not speaking for Mark, or for any political candidate yet I have to state what I think we should focus on as voters of Lucas County.

I think most of us agree we need change, we want people in office that not only can we count on but trust to follow a standard of ethics that some on both sides have not met. However we also have to be fair in our expectations of what a candidate of any party can do in relation to the questionable behavior of others. Mark is running for District 46, finding out what he would support or promote within the House when it comes to ethics is important. Finding out where he stands on what will affect the residents of Distric 46 is important. In my opinion we need to focus on these individual campaigns rather than get side tracked. Noe is related to what Mark is talking about because it involves something he sees daily, the BWC. The Republican one party rule has caused some of this, just as to be perfectly blunt the Democratic one party rule in our area has caused some of what has happened.

Locally it's harder, when we have not only the Noe issue but ethics issues within the Democratic Party as well as some Republicans. I think we need to stay focused on which individuals we believe will lead us in the direction we want to go, increase the numbers of those we trust and then by the shear number of those who will demonstrate they hold ethics and common values important those who do violate our trust will be replaced.

 
At 6:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mark, thanks for inviting me to your blog. I wish you the best of luck, as you well know. I am a "district 46er" and you have my vote, my husband's vote, and my parents' votes as well. Keep up the good work, Mark. See you on the campaign trail. Angela Wallington Zimmann, Campaign Manager for Ben Konop

 
At 8:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its about time that we do something about the overwhelming majority that the Republicans have in Ohio. Their monoply is oppresive to the average Ohioan. Best of luck in your attempt to shift the balance of power and change the culture of corruption that not only infects the state but also the national scene as well.

 
At 2:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

3 to 1 odds all these annonymous posts are Dansack.

 
At 9:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

not dansack...not likely since a few of them visited from my site to Mark's. Different ips = different users.

When you wonder why more candidates don't blog or allow anonymous comments? It's pretty obvious.

 
At 12:05 AM, Blogger Mark said...

Specific reply to "Not Dansack". Thanks for visiting. I'd like to take those odds to build my campaign fund!

It looks as if a nerve has been struck. In trying to open a dialogue, it appears there are those out there who are either upset with the message or just simply messing around.

At any rate, I will continue to post regarding issues of importance to me. It also looks as if I've taken on identities which both agree and disagree with me, which will serve to broaden my outlook. ; )

I really wish I had time to post to myself (sometimes using others' names and at all different times )- - - - I thought I was trying to discuss issues .... my mistake.

Thanks to all for your participation. Maybe I should have merely thanked myself. : )

 

Post a Comment

<< Home